The class modules and discussion with other participants made me more aware of how my actions and personal biases can get in the way of creating a inclusive environment. I am also more sensitive to the way others behave (towards me or other people) and can see how their own personal biases may lead the interaction to happen in that manner. Prior to the course, I thought if we have diversity, then it is all good. But now after the course, I realize that having diversity is good, but not good enough if we don't have inclusion in the equation. That is a big eye opener for me.
This course ran March - April 2016. We will offer another soon. Please check back or email email@example.com .
Upon completion of the learning experience, participants will be able to:
- Describe the elements and stages of cultural competence
- Recognize personal assumptions about human behavior, values, biases and preconceived notions
- Demonstrate awareness of cultural assumptions and how cultural filters can impact individuals’ interactions with others
- Identify steps to become more culturally proficient and to function more effectively in a multicultural environment
- Begin to identify strategies and policies to support your organization’s effort to function effectively in a diverse environment
- Recognize the changing needs of diverse populations and contribute to the creation of a workforce that is strategically capable of responding to those needs.
There are 4 components to this online learning experience:
1. Participate in Live Learning Sessions. In order to gain the most out of our time together, every participant is expected to join weekly sessions via video (don't worry, it's easy, we'll show you how!). We will discuss the readings, video lectures, activities, and their applications. Thoughtful contributions to the discussions are expected.
2. Watch brief recorded lectures and supporting videos.
3. Post responses to an online discussion board.
4. Reflect upon the personal and professional applications of the readings, video lectures, and activities.
Participants are expected to attend all live learning sessions. Check your calendar: These will occur from 12-1 pm MT on the following Thursdays:
- March 3
- March 10
- March 17
- March 24
- March 31
- April 7