There's a lot of information within the toolkit. I come back from time to time to re-review the materials or double-checking some details.
This advanced level (Level 2) motivational interviewing (MI) course builds on the fundamental concepts and basic skills learned in the Patient Navigator Fundamentals course. In this course you will expand your skills related to the strategic use of questions and reflections to build upon and deepen client change talk. You will also learn to reduce client resistance by practicing complex and focused reflective listening skills.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain the spirit and principles of MI
- List the four basic MI communication skills (OARS)
- Demonstrate empathic listening skills
- Demonstrate the directive aspects of MI
- Describe the fundamental client language cues (change talk and resistance) that
- allow feedback and learning in practice
- Demonstrate the use of strategic open-ended questions and reflections that elicit and deepen client motivation
- Demonstrate the use of complex reflections to decrease client resistance
Course Activities: Course activities include small group work, role-playing, practice sessions, and group discussion to provide an interactive session to help facilitate learning. Patient navigator-specific scenarios will be integrated throughout training to simulate real scenarios when possible.
Class will be held from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM with a one hour lunch.
Prerequisite: Basic Motivational Interviewing in-person course. If you have a question regarding the prerequisite, please send an email describing your motivational interviewing course experience to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name and date of this course. Please see Motivational Materials note below.
Motivational Interviewing Materials: Please bring your Level 1 Basic Fundamentals Workshop Motiviational Interviewing manual to this course. If you have not attended our Patient Navigator Basic Fundamentals Level 1 course, please email Patricia.Valverde@ucdenver.edu and describe your background and motivational interviewing experience to ensure the course is a good fit for you.
Patient Navigators INSIDE Colorado: Free
Patient Navigators OUTSIDE Colorado: Registration fee is $75.00.
If you live or work outside Colorado, your space in the course will be confirmed once payment is made. Once you receive an email confirmation, please consider your space in the course assured.
- Cancelation and Refund Policy: To cancel your registration and get a refund of registration fees, you must cancel at least 7 days (1 week) before the first day of training. If you cancel with less than 7 days (1 full week) notice your registration fee will be forfeited. Refunds will be issued within 14 days of your notice of cancellation. To cancel you must send an email to Colorado.CPHP@ucdenver.edu .
- Email Confirmation: After you register you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive the email, your registration was not fully processed. If you do not receive the email confirmation contact Colorado.CPHP@ucdenver.edu
- Wait list: If the course is full when you register, you will be placed on a wait list and notified if a space in the course opens.
- Certificate of completion: To receive a certificate of completion for this course you must attend and actively participate in the full day of training.
- Provide a valid email address: Please provide a valid email address when you register for the course. You will be receiving parking information and pre-work instructions.
- GENERAL CANCELLATION POLICY: Because of the high demand for this course, many people will be on a wait list. Please help us in allowing others to attend the training if you are unable. If you are unable to attend the course, you must cancel your registration at least 7 days (1 week) before the first day of training. If you cancel with less than 7 days (1 full week) notice you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. This fee will be charged when you register for your next patient navigator training. To cancel you must notify email@example.com. If you are from out of state and paid a registration fee, cancellation notice must be received 7 days before the first day of training in order for the refund to be made to the account from which the registration was paid.
About the Program
The Patient Navigator Training Collaborative (PNTC) provides learning opportunities for patient navigators in Colorado and throughout the U.S. PNTC is a partnership between Denver Health, Colorado School of Public Health, Center for Public Health Practice and Denver Prevention Training Center and currently receives grant funding from the Cancer, Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Disease Program at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
To learn more about this training and the Colorado Patient Navigator Training Collaborative, please visit http://patientnavigatortraining.org/